Thursday, August 03, 2006

The opening paragraph

I am often at a loss for what to read, and recently I have been feeling somewhat demotivated. From here on things change.

This morning The Times published their list of the 100 best books. An idea struck me. This idea was not particularly original, but as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that, I'm sure Tom won't mind.

So, I am going to try to work my way through the list. Oh yes.

Mr Tom Goodfellow performed a similar feat with the Observer's top 100 novels and his journey through literature can be read about here.

The Times isn't my daily newspaper of choice, but I work in a library and it arrives each day. So when I saw the headline '100 greatest books' I couldn't resist.

This list is slightly different from the Observer list. It contains not only fictional novels, but also non-fiction and a couple of plays. It is divided into 20 sections of 5 books each, each with a different category; best villains, best tearjerkers, best journeys etc.

It also seems to be restricted to books published by Penguin - but what the hell - it's as good as any other list.

It seems that I have read 24 of the 100 already - and there are a couple that I am not sure about - (have I actually read Emma, or am I just thinking I have because I've read all the others, or did I just dream the whole thing?)

There are several books on the list that I've started but not finished or that I've been meaning to read for ages and ages - so I'm hoping that the sense of a challenge and a goal will motivate me to read/finish them.

I've read books from all but 2 of the sections - so that is where I am going to begin; The Best sex. After that I am going to follow a strategy where by I will try not to read two books from the same section one after another. So, armed with my library card I am ready to go - wish me luck!

First stop - Venus In Furs

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Goodfellow said...

Ooh, how exciting. I'm looking at the list thinking I really ought read that...and that...and that. Have fun!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home