Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Problems

Ok, so maybe this isn't as straightforward as I imagined. I'm heading towards the end of the second book, 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'. I picked up a copy of this and a few others on the list on a visit to my mum's house last week. However,whilst I was back at home I also popped into a charity shop on the offchance that they would have the second Bridget Jones book - it's a long story, but I need it for my PhD. (More info on that here.) Whilst I was in there, I found a copy of A Suitable Boy for £2, and couldn't resist. This isn't on the list.

Also, yesterday the booker long list was announced. Last year this led me to a good few books that I really enjoyed, but obviously they aren't on the list.

So, I think this list reading task is going to be more of a long term aim - I don't think I will be able to put aside other books I come across from time to time in order to plod on with the list. So, the list will be more of a backdrop to my reading - always there, but not necessarily to the exclusion of everything else. Afterall, such a list only represents a snapshot of literature - it is more than possible that a new book could push an oldie out. Dynamic, and so that is what I will have to try to be.

Ben has introduced me to an interesting book site Librarything. It's definitely worth a look. You can log your reading, write reviews and see what other people thought. I think it is a wonderful idea. Sometimes I find a book which has really captivated me and I want to share it with someone. There is no point talking to your nearest and dearest about it unless they have read it too. Reading is solitary by its very nature, but this takes the edge off it - at least for those of us who can't commit to a regular reading group or such like. It's a nig old world out there - chances are someone is reading the same thing as you!